21 October 2012

News of No Meaty Substance

I wrote this a few days ago and after re-reading I wasn't sure if I should post it or not. It's a bit long winded and not particularly related to becoming a Paramedic. However, I think It's important to stick by something that you've written so here it is.

...

Well, I did it. I have been thirty consecutive days without eating meat as a full vegetarian (unless you count the small mishap with the Cognac Jelly). I never in a million years considered that I, of all people, would give up meat and meat related products. I always thought it would be a ridiculous struggle to constantly find food to eat and meals to cook whilst being unhealthy with a lack of protein. I thought it was stupid, meaningless even; a statement that people made just because they could, to stand out from the rest silently screaming "LOOK AT ME, I DON'T EAT MEAT - GIVE ME ATTENTION".

I was wrong, in so many ways.

I had been on my meatless diet for about five days before I went home to visit my family (this was the same trip that I forgot Jelly contained Gelatin). My Mother seemed to both relish in the challenge of feeding the whole family a vegetarian meal whilst at the same time she practically cried with despair. She couldn't get her head around what on earth she was meant to prepare! She managed it in the end, and very well too - thanks Mum! I think this is a fair representation of everyone's attitude to the vegetarian diet before they attempt it.

I'm not going to try and persuade you to try because it is a very personal decision, but I have noticed so many benefits. This experiment has changed my views and in many ways, my life too. I feel as though this is a false claim because I have no proof or nothing to compare it too (as I haven't had a chance to actually eat meat again yet) but I feel much healthier now. I have noticed that there seems to be less of a fog in my mind; things seem clearer and thoughts are easier to order. I have more energy and I feel happier. I am in a pretty rough, stressful situation at the moment with ever worsening financial burdens and no job, but I find I often have a slight smile on my face.

I honestly can't put this down to not eating meat completely, I have no idea. It's just a best guess due to the stress I'm under at the moment and the lack of sleep I seem to be getting. I'm not even sure if I am eating enough calories in a day (I have lost about 2 stone in the last 3 months). I chose a bad time to try this, but I am seriously glad I did because of the environmental and health impact.

However, I did find creating meat free meals was easy as pie! I ate the same but removed the meat, and maybe added in some fake Quorn crap or some beans. Job done.

Did I crave meat? Not really. Not even Chicken. I did miss it, and vegetarian Chinese take away wasn't quite the same but I dealt with it. But on the subject of cravings, ever since I started I haven't been able to get cheese off of my mind. Whilst writing this I have eaten about half a block and I still want more.

How will I carry this forward? I'm not sure as of yet. I will probably just continue, eating little meat - maybe restricting it to special occasions.

...

Okay, So I am really clawing for something to post about at the moment. There is literally very little worth discussing regarding progress towards the ultimate goal of this blog. However, this is a small achievement and right now, small achievements are what I need.

I hope I may have inspired you to challenge yourself a little, whether it be changing your diet or braving the cold to start that new exercise regime. I know that I have inspired one of my cousins to try going Veggie for a month. I wish her luck, as I know she likes her drunk food and gravy!

Have a good week,

Phil

(I have updated my Life List as required! I am thinking about a few things I'd like to add as we speak)

3 comments:

  1. I am guenuinely surprised that you managed it. WELL DONE! My friend gave up meat but when she decided to eat it again she actually only eats seafood, although I'm not sure how that impacts the whole enviornment thing?

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! It really wasn't much of a challenge, except for Chinese takeaway and the BBQ we had! Fish is bad at the minute because of over fishing, but I'll let her off if she doesn't eat any other meat! Kinda balances itself out really :D

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on achieving a goal. Personally I think you're a crazy fool, but I understand why you're doing it and if it makes you feel better, then that is the main point. Just thought you should know that when you visit this is a cheese free, carnivorous household where vegetables are banned - a perfect balance to your life (only joking). Actually I have a real love of cheese, as does your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete